Student Services Specialist - Alder Montessori, a program of The Alliance for Equity in Montessori Education
November or December 2023
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We are seeking qualified applicants for a Student Services Specialist for our Montessori preschool program located in Portland Oregon. Our Mission – Equity, Access and Choice. We increase access to high-quality , early childhood education for children and families impacted by economic and racial inequities by providing tuition-free Montessori for preschool-age children. Most of our children enter as English language learners.
This position is responsible for the social and emotional support of the students in AEME preschool classrooms. They are also responsible for the coordination of internal and outside services for children enrolled in the program. The Specialist will act as support and in-house consultant to assist children with high needs and provide 1-1 coaching and group training to AEME educational program staff. They will also serve as Substitute Site Director when the School Manager is not on-site. They will be compassionate, thoughtful, resilient, patient, and highly organized and excited by a position focused on support for young learners with high needs, and parents/guardians. The Specialist will receive guidance and support from the School Manager & Executive Director and collaborate modeling grace, courtesy and compassion with all students, families, peers, supervisors, and partner stakeholders. They will be “We Focused – what WE can accomplish together”. Calm and kind, gets along well with others and thrives in a kid centered environment.
Essential functions/responsibilities include Working directly with children who need adaptations within the classroom, playground or school environment. Schedules and provides home visits, leads our schools Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) process & completes Formative Assessments & ASQs in collaboration with teachers and parents/guardians. Consults with teachers and staff to facilitate children’s full participation or entry/re-entry into a group setting. Works together with Guides, consultants, and outside agencies to develop Individualized Family Service Plans. Leads Child Study meetings with Guides. Supports families with finding additional resources to best support their child. This position requires a self-starter, who is a quick learner with solid professional judgment, de-escalation skills and calm in a crisis and will be the backup Site Administrator. They must be able to develop and maintain professional, positive, and collaborative relationships with staff, parents, and partners.
This position may be half-time or full-time M-F and will include occasional evening and weekend hours related to parent/school events and professional development training from time to time.
AEME is a non-profit which is expanding to open new tuition free Montessori early childhood education programs to neighborhoods within the Portland Metro community.
Student Services Specialist Qualifications:
• Experience Required: 1 year experience in early childhood or recreation programs or equivalent experience.
• Education Required: Master’s degree in child development, Human Development, Psychology, Occupational Therapy or equivalent education and experience.
Strong Preference for Candidates with the Following Qualifications/Experience:
• Bilingual – Spanish and English, verbal and written.
• Has valued lived experience or professional development skill set relevant to our student/team needs.
• Experience working in a Montessori or public-school environment with regular contact with parents/families.
Secondary Preference for Candidates with the Following Qualifications/Experience:
• Knowledge of or experience working in a Montessori school program.
• Bilingual in other languages within our family/community
Compensation and Benefits: This is a part-time school- year hourly professional position. The school year timeline is Mid-August to end of June each year. The hourly wage for this position is $33.5-37 with defined wage add-on’s (Example: Bilingual Fluency (Spanish/English), D.O.E.
Our benefit package includes generous paid time off, including:
• Paid School Holidays – 9 days/prorated
• Paid Vacation: Winter Break, Spring Break and additional days of PTO
• Paid sick leave – 80 hrs. FT, As well as other paid leaves such as Bereavement & Jury Duty.
Core benefits also include:
• 100% employer paid Health, dental, vision and alternative care insurance for employees.
• Option for health, dental, vision and alternative care for family (20% employer contribution)
• 403B retirement plan with Employer contribution
• $50k Life Insurance policy
• Disability Insurance (short-term via State of Oregon, & long-term via AEME)
• Professional Development Opportunities
View a PDF of the job description here.