Senior Director of Education
The Portland Montessori School
The Portland Montessori School seeks an experienced Montessori education leader contributing to a collaborative, inclusive, and empathetic work culture. This leader shares in our mission, vision and values and upholds children’s education as a priority in our community. We are looking for a leader who is also passionate about building an equitable educational environment for our students and families. Additionally, we are seeking an effective manager of people, resources, a strategic thinker, and who possess strong facilitation and communication skills with various groups and stakeholders including staff, families, board directors, funders, and community partners.
The Senior Director of Education is a senior leadership position at The Portland Montessori School and is responsible for leading and managing the Montessori program. This position will have management responsibilities working directly with the teaching and classroom staff and oversee, direct, and lead guides and classroom and program assistants in continuing to maintain consistent high-quality Montessori excellence.
The Senior Director of Education will partner with the Head of School and other school leaders to support an equitable and inclusive school environment for both staff, students, and families. The position also will work closely with the Director of Admissions and Director of Operations with regards to student enrollment and classroom staffing and management. Additionally, this position will work closely with the Director of Student Support with regards to supporting students, meeting guidelines and overseeing the requirements set by AMI and Preschool Promise. This position will observe in classrooms, meet with guides, offer feedback, and perform yearly performance reviews, goal setting and evaluations. This includes prioritizing staff professional development and being an effective leader in advancing and adhering to the Montessori pedagogy. As a senior leader, this position will co-lead with the Head of School, the organization’s ongoing Equity, Diversity, Inclusion or Anti-Bias Anti-Racist (ABAR) training and equity framework to support the Montessori program, students, teaching staff, and families.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for leading and managing Montessori education program
• Direct supervision and manager of guides and assistants
• Conducts classroom observations, offering feedback and supporting goals
• Conducts annual performance reviews
• Oversees and ensures ODE ELD Licensing Compliance
• Facilitates and manages meetings with teams, and conducting one on ones with guides
• Organizing/ Leading parent education events
• Recruitment and admissions support- collaboration with Director of Admissions
• Ensures staff leadership training and professional development for guides and assistants with duties to lead trainings and/or seeking out training for staff
• Working closely with Director of Student Support in assessing needs of children and classrooms
• Supervise and manage 10-week summer program (Camp Vida)
• Presents reports and updates to the Head of School and Board of Directors
• Makes decisions regarding Montessori program to ensure excellence, support AMI principles, and other certifications and compliance
• Supports admissions program and educates and informs prospective families about Montessori education
• Conducts and hosts current and prospective family programs/presentations
• Provides coaching and training to Montessori guides and classroom and program assistants
• Engages and oversees external coaching, training programs for teaching staff
• Holds meetings with direct reports including guides, classroom and program assistants
• Ensure communication and outreach to families via support of parent/family communication channels such as eNews and other communications
• Active and integral member of the school leadership team
• Attend and participate in school events including fundraising events
• Maintains confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents, families, board members, donors, funders, and school issues
• Performs responsibilities in an ethical and professional manner
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Acts as a role model of respect, compassion stewardship integrity and excellence for the team
• AMI Primary Montessori Training
• Master’s Degree in Education
• 5 years teaching experience
• 3-5 years in a supervisory role
• School administrative experience
• Successful experience working with parents and families in a school setting
• Successfully pass ODE ELD criminal background check
Preferred Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience with Equity, Diversity, Inclusion or Anti-Bias Anti-Racist (ABAR) training
• Performance review experience
• Conflict resolution experience
• Team building experience
• AMI Infant/Toddler and/or Elementary training
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills
• Establishes and maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with others
• Individual should be able to exercise a high degree of collaboration and confidentiality
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of individuals
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledge of Preschool Promise Grant Program
• Experience with licensing, teaching and school compliance
• Ability to meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
• Ability to bend and lift up to 30-40 lbs. on a regular basis.
• Full range of motion to serve children as necessary.
• Enrollment in the Central Background Registry, which is required for this position.
• Must have “Intro to Child Health and Safety,” “Prevention is Better than Treatment,” “Safe Sleep,” CPR
• First Aid and “Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect” within 30 days of hire.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed.
The Portland Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive staff.
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of this position may change without advance notice.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: TPMS Sr Dir of Ed Applicant
Applications reviewed on rolling basis until closing date
Please submit resume and cover letter by January 2, 2023
Expected start for new hire late February 2023