Primary Guide - The Community Roots School
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Community Roots School is seeking a trained Primary Guide starting this upcoming 2023/24 school year. We are a K-8 Public Charter Montessori school located in Silverton, OR, a welcoming and vibrant small community one hour south of Portland and near Silver Falls State Park. We have a strong commitment to social justice, anti-bias, anti-racism, and equity work. CRS is also passionate about outdoor education, and we have an on-site outdoor guide for our garden program.
The Primary Guide will lead a Kindergarten classroom of children at our tuition-free, Public Charter Montessori program. While currently this is a stand alone Kinder class for 5/6 year old children, the long term plan is to develop a full 3-6yo environment in the future. The Guide will be responsible for preparing the primary environment, facilitating parent engagement/education and conferences, record and data management, and student assessment. Guidance, oversight and support are provided by an AMI trained Head of School. A successful candidate will bring dependability, creativity, joy, positive enthusiasm, professionalism, and a dedication to equity to contribute to high-quality Montessori education.
CRS closely follows the Silver Falls School District’s calendar. Salary and compensation will be commensurate with experience and education.
• A Montessori Credential from an AMS, AMI, or MACTE recognized training center for Primary/Children’s House
• Oregon State Teaching License or the ability to obtain one.
• Willingness to complete state requirements: First Aid & CPR Training, Background Check & Fingerprinting
• Willingness to commit to at least three years of employment with us (a full cycle)
• Experience leading a Primary classroom and establishing a mindful environment based on respect. First year teachers with prior Primary classroom experience will be considered.
• Experience working in a Primary Montessori environment
• Familiarity with anti-bias, antiracist work
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, and/or ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Classroom management skills, including providing support to children, overview and redirection as needed to children in class, working individually with children and in small group follow-up work, using positive discipline techniques with children (non-shaming and non-punitive)
• Establish a Montessori prepared environment that meets the unique needs of the kindergarten students in the first plane of development and moving into the second plane.
• Dynamic and mindful approach to problem-solving, demonstrate a growth mindset for professional and personal growth
• Maintain a calm demeanor in a busy, highly flexible environment
• Be organized, attentive to details, and a careful observer
• Understand and execute verbal and written instructions, policies and procedures and implement them with a degree of independence
• Technical skills that support recordkeeping and parent communication.
• Attend all school meetings and school related functions
• Establish and maintain good communications with parents through parent conferences, meetings, informal communication, emails, two progress reports, and classroom newsletters.
• Collaborate effectively with other staff members including Guides and our Learning Specialists for parent education events, student support, and for continued professional growth.
To be considered for this position, please provide a cover letter and resume to Administrator Christen Kelly at email@example.com.