Primary Assistant - Puddletown School
November 23, 2023
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Puddletown School is hiring an assistant for the 2023/24 school year. We are a primary, elementary and adolescent program in Eastmoreland SE Portland with a growing and active commitment to social justice, anti-bias, anti-racism, and equity work (within and outside of our community). We are a caring and committed team of educators who greatly respect each other, the children, and the philosophies of Dr. Maria Montessori.
Eligible candidates will need:
- Current registration in the Oregon Background Registry
- Current certification in Child/Infant CPR & First Aid
- Hold current Oregon Food Handler’s card
- Experience working with children ages 3-6
- To meet all children with love and respect, as demonstrated in demeanor and tone
- To be calm and observant, to move carefully and to be comfortable sitting and observing
- To be open to feedback, with the understanding that all feedback is for the harmony of the classroom
- To be a clear, direct and open communicator, including non-verbal communication (e.g., shared glances, physical signals, hand-written notes, shared classroom journal/log)
- A willingness to collaborate with the classroom’s guide to support the direction and vision for the space and group, including hosting small gatherings of children as needed, material making as needed (with instructions), shifting the classroom space as needed, caring for the environment and preparing it daily as needed.
Knowledge of Dr. Montessori’s educational philosophy is not required but a willingness to learn is lovely and appreciated!
Compensation is regionally competitive, with an offering range of $18-21. Benefits include: retirement matching, health insurance, personal paid time off, holidays and breaks within the year, summers off (with an option to work), paid training opportunities and discounted tuition for any staff with children who attend Puddletown School.
A note to potential candidates: Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary folx, and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work,, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
(note suggested by Tiffany D. Loftin, a liberatory thinker & movement architect).
Please check out our website for more information about our program and the community: www.puddletownschool.com