Classroom Support Assistant - The Portland Montessori School
November 27, 2023
ABOUT THE POSITION:
JOB TITLE: Classroom Support Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Education
JOB STATUS: Full Time / Non-Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $19- $21 per hour
The Classroom Support Assistant supports classroom Guides and educational environments, school common spaces, playground, studio environments and aftercare programs. All while creating a warm, nurturing and safe environment for children in which individuality is respected and independence is encouraged. The Classroom Support Assistant provides patience and respect for children and will be a model for the children's appropriate manners and behaviors.
1. Monitors hallways and other non-classroom spaces to ensure all children are supported and within sight and sound at all times.
2. Available to temporarily support classroom ratios throughout the day without specifically engaging in instruction or education of children when needed.
3. Available to support supply and materials management when available and when needed.
4. Supports children with toileting and supervision as outlined by Department of Early
Learning and Care (DELC), school policies and classroom teams.
5. Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly and engaging physical environment.
6. Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with children, families and co-workers.
7. Assists in the release of half-day and full-day and aftercare students.
8. Supports children during classroom work, recess, nap time, bathroom support, transitions and during aftercare activities.
9. Actively participates in enrichment programs including, but not limited to any winter, spring, and summer camp activities, after care programming, and in-service days as needed.
10. Report any unusual occurrences to the appropriate person.
11. Keeps common areas such as the children’s bathrooms, hallway, laundry room and storage closets clear, clean and tidy.
12. Reports to work, leaves and returns from breaks promptly, according to the daily schedule.
13. Refers any questions from parents regarding disciplinary issues or other classroom concerns to the Director of Education
14. Assists at school-related events as needed.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
1. Director of Education - Works with the Director of Education to maintain consistency across learning spaces and provide support to all children throughout the day.
2. Guide - Communicates with Guides to support the continued support of each child throughout the day.
3. Classroom Assistants - Will work collaboratively together in a team environment to meet the needs of the working relationship of Classroom Guides across all classrooms.
4. Enrichment Coordinator - Works with Enrichment Coordinator to implement relevant enrichment programming and break camps and provide a structured supportive work environment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational Skills.
● Experience in a Montessori environment is preferred.
● Experience working with children ages 2.5 to 6 years is preferred .
● At least one year of experience working with children in the age range of 15 months to 12 years.
● Ability to guide children through redirection using positive language and modeling
● Model treating children and others with respect, sensitivity, kindness and dignity in all situations.
● Ability to take initiative and to fulfill assigned duties without constant direction
● The ability to maintain flexibility throughout the day with proactive decision making skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of individuals.
● Individuals should be able to exercise a high degree of collaboration and confidentiality.
● Ability to work with integrity and make decisions independently.
● Establishes and maintains cooperative working and supporting schedule changes.
1. Enrollment in Central Background Registry (CBR) through the Department of EarlyLearning and Care (DELC)
2. Maintains working knowledge of State of Oregon licensing rules for the certification of annual licensing through DELC.
3. Montessori Assistant Teacher Training Certificate or willingness to become trained.
4. Completion of all required Safety Set training required by DELC Self-Study Training (within 30 days).
5. Valid First Aid, Hands on CPR (within 90 days), and State of Oregon Food Handler’sCard (first 30 days).
6. Application to Oregon Registry Online database (within 30 days).
7. Following all state and school compliance regulations including, but not limited to annual licensing standards, completing at least 15 clock hours of professional development with 8 of those hours in child development each licensing year, and any policy outlined in the TPMS Employee Handbook.
Please email Andrea O'Neill Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume for review.